Monday, May 16, 2011

new info on the truck

Clark hopefully you are following.

Well I pulled the motor this weekend. I wanted to pull it to go thru it and identify the parts, fix a few leaks, and replace any worn out parts. The valves look like they are in bad shape and need to be replaced. On further inspection the exhaust valves are sucked into the head, which usually means worn out seats. So new heads might be in order. Then I moved on to the cylinders. They seam to be in good shape. They just need a hone job. Then I grabbed my calipers to measure the size. To my amazement, it measured 4.13 dia. I thought it was a 390 which should measure 4.05. I also thought it was .030 over so it should have been 4.08 dia. The pistons are stamped STD, so they aren't over bores. Then I measured the stroke. It is 4.00. Now I grabbed my book to look up bore and stroke on all FE motors. There is only one motor that has that bore and stroke. THE BIG BAD ASS 428. I also cross referenced the block casting number and it shows a 428 made between '66 and '68. This is a good day. Earlier today I was trying to figure out how much it would cost to stroke a 390 to 422 by overboring .06 using mercury 410 pistons and a 428 crank. Let me reiterate THIS IS A GOOD DAY.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matt,

    Research shows the 428 was put in the truck around the early 90s...was custom built back then and ran like a striped ape...can't find documentation, but remember my dad saying it dynod aroud 480 horse...think the motor was from a Gran Torino...ran a 750 double pumper on it to start with a spacer plate and electronic fuel pump-hence all the switces-but still had vapor locking issues...the Carter set up seemed to work better. Keep up the good work.

    Clark

    ReplyDelete